Reply to spandexandsportsbras because Tumblr reply system sucks.
Actually, I didn’t like Countdown. I liked the …young and kind-of-good-at-heart image Jason got in it and I liked the awkward situations between him and Donna and Kyle. And i liked Piper and Trickster subplot, but that’s all I actually liked about it.
The rest was at best forgettable and narrated in a confusing way, and the characters I love for real in it were completely- or really oftenly- OOC.
But I had the very same problems with BN/BD, and moreover, the tone of BN/BD was a lot more annoying in being ZOMG relevant!!! and gruesome and a lot of characters got killed out of nowhere and the whole portrayal of human emotions given by BN/BD irks me a lot. And I spare you how I hate what BN/BD has done to GL franchise in general. Countdown did not brought up anything like this, that’s why I see it a lot more harmless. Of course, the reception of a series is subjective and can vary on the base of personal preference. Me for example I care for characters more than for plots and it shows.
Anyway, that was just my general reaction to Countdown and how I see it as a way ‘smaller damage’ than BN/BD, just to say the last one epic piece of crap.
What exactly buggers me on how fandom reacts to Countdown is that it has become an accepted general opinion one should feel personally offended anytime Countdown is mentioned and it is a social convention to be scandalized by it and act accordingly. Why? Because it’s a safe complaint, something none would object to, something you can criticize without the fear of being criticized. It’s a double win. That’s the reverse, hence identical, mechanism of ‘you oughta like this character in order to…’
Opinions that infect the fandom, joke after joke, ‘THIS’ after ‘THIS’, to the point they become dogmas, social conventions. So you oughta worship Oracle and tear your hair out everytime someone mentions Countdown and find Terry Long a creeper and think Helena has been canonically depicted as the worst whore ever for sleeping with a couple of men on panel and think Cass Cain is the best thing ever since she’s a) female b) asian c) the goddamn batgirl! and so on….
I am not annoyed by in-jokes, I am annoyed by in-jokes when they prevent you from looking at something with a virgin look. And I am also annoyed by the canons of reputation in the comic book fandoms and how they sometimes discourage spontaneity from people, a spontaneity that even when off and uneducated can give you a fresh point of view on something that, no matter how an interesting lens it could be for taking a look on modern society and its issues, it is still at the core, beefy man and curvy women in tights fighting evil.
Bottom line, I wish fandom dared to sound stupid a little more often.
(there is also the fraction of fandom that is in only for the punches and is proudly stupid on a daily basis but I frankly do not expect a lot of insight and thoughtfull review from them, nor I should)
I think Scott right now is just a depressed and depressing individual.
Pairing preference aside, his liberation through Emma’s vagina is frankly, pretty pathetic.
He reminds me of a lot of men I’ve seen IRL divorcing from their wifes or breaking up with their partner because of the need of ‘living for themselves for once’ - in the artificial and society conditioned need of finding themselves in an independence that is just a wealthy and apparently comfortable version of loneliness, and maybe a younger and sexier mate.
And that’s one of the saddest things I happened to witness in my life.
- All in all I think I liked Countdown far way better than a lot of other megaevents. At least it was pretty unharmfull.
- Whenever I feel I should like a character in order to be a good fan/woman/aware reader, I have the instinct of backing away from him/her. That’s the root of my diffidence toward the Cass, Steph, Wonder Woman….(can’t think of any guy right now. ° ° ) Sometimes I have to forget fandom has any sort of opinion about Tim, Rose, Babs, Hal, Selina, Dinah and even Bruce to avoid induced annoyance toward all them, that I actually like a lot on their own.
- I think Hal Jordan is an idiot with no survival instinct whatsoever and I can’t understand how he is supposed to be better than anyone else. I genuinely like him for this, though.
- I used to like Gar/Raven, but the way it has been handled lately is putting me off the pairing like you have no idea… D: YEAH I’M A WHINY BITCH THAT IS NEVER HAPPY WITH ANYTHING.
Yell at me, hate on me, make me see where I am on the wrong, whatever……………………………
- I don’t think Jason Todd is a sex machine, not at all. I actually see him as a passionate lover once he is at it but quite shy and clumsy in approaching the matter. I mean, I can see him physical in the expression of his affections and instinctively knowing how to use that drill but quite naïve and unable to plan a seductive strategy and sucking badly at romance. How he tried to score with Mia totally counts as evidence of me being on the right…
- Not only I don’t like Conner, I also find him totally forgettable on the looks.
- I don’t find Tim Drake hot at all; the reason I’d bang him out of the many hotter guys in the DCU is that men like him always find me embarrassing and annoying when I’m hitting on them and for some reasons it turns me on.
- I find Ted Kord hot as hell because of his sexy brain. Same with Henry McCoy.
- The other guys I can take them or leave them, they do nothing for me in terms of ZOMG hot.
- This proportions are reversed for the female characters. But those I don’t find attractive are gals like Zatanna, Dinah, Natu, Harley… I guess I’m doing everything wrong. Either way, I don’t care.
- I don’t give a fuck about costumes (the good, the bad looking, the ZOMG indecent, the ‘I can’t take this seriously!!..) really, I don’t care at all. Costumes are a necessary evil for me in reading my cape comics, I find them all pretty ridiculous on overage and those I actually like can be counted on fingers.
- What really pisses me off is inconsistencies in character looks, on top of all in the colour of the eyes. The amount of characters with fair eyes is already unrealistically high, it buggers me when some of them have their eyes colour changed from dark to green/blue (like Kyle and Lian..). (for the record, I’m blonde and blue eyed myself)
TUMBLR, you like me too much, and this usually makes me feel uneasy.
SO while I was waiting for my lab pals I’ve listed some things that were running through my head and that I feel set me apart from a good half of comic books fandom. Mind it doesn’t make me special or anything I’d just love to have different opinions on those - and I am in the mood of being an annoying pedantic prick.
My ill luck with things to enjoy and ships to like and not has taught me this: no matter how ugly the plot points the selected pairing is facing are, they would turn into a ZOMG would never be fixed – split up if I’m liking them together, and would do absolutely NOTHING, nothing if I am not.
So Soranik never told Kyle she is Sinestro daughter and Kyle just don’t give a fuck and punches daddy’s ass all the way to Qward to the rescue.
But Ollie and Dinah are divorced. Because he ZOMG killed the assassin of their grandchild. OKAY.
Otherwise I’m quite liking the way Bedard writes Kyle in general – at least I don’t want to punch him in the nuts everytime he opens his mouth like I used to do when it was Tomasi writing him - but still, none is able to make me like a single scene of him and Soranik together. I wish they do but it’s just SO NOT HAPPENING.
The art is hot, I’m loving it.
What can I say? I can forgive Robinson for swearing Donna if the interactions among this groups would keep being this cute * *
Because that’s exactly what I want to read – people facing their shit together and not being 100% superdepressed and tragic about it like in some books neither completely forget about everything that is not strictly relevant to the plot in action in some others.
Donna and Dick and Jen made my day and I’m extremely happy, for once, that Dick is Batman, because he is leading the League and he is doing it like Dick Grayson, not Bruce Wayne, would. Oh man I have forgot how much I love you Dickie… * *
(on a side note, not that I care much about the Crime Syndicate but that world Clark/Lois/Bruce triangle is kind of hot.)
First time in .. forever I guess I really care about the JLA as a team people bitching about this not being the ‘real’ JLA can go suck a banana. Likewise, the oh-so- proud Countdown haters. It’s still in continuity. Banana to you , too.
I can still blame it on the “lost in translation” factor but sometimes I feel like I do not get what phrases like “kicking ass” are supposed to mean.
And that I will never get it.